The Viking Vanguard

‘Love, Simon’ simplistic, yet poignant

Kayla Morris, A&E/OP-Ed Writer

The recent release “Love, Simon” was adapted from the book ‘Simon Vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda’ and is closely  based on the plot of the novel.

The movie begins with the main character Simon (Nick Robinson) introducing his family and friends to the audience. We meet his childhood best friends Nick (Jorge Lendeborg Jr), Leah (Katherine Langford) and their new friend Abby (Alexandra Shipp). We are then told that there is an online confession page for their school. Leah informs Simon that there was a recent post on the website from a closeted gay student at school who called himself Blue. Simon decided to reach out to Blue and tell him he was gay as well.

There are so many simple, yet beautiful moments in the film. When Simon leaves his home he tries to talk to the gardener across the street and compliment his boots. The gardener cannot hear him, due to his leaf blower being extremely loud. I was immediately intrigued by this part of the story and I felt sorry for Simon, because he was trying to flirt and was not able to talk to him.

This movie is so important, not only to the LGBTQ+ community but to those who are learning about it.”

— Kayla Morris

I was overwhelmed by the whole-hearted acceptance and overall joy and courage that people not only in the movie but outside of it got from this film. I highly recommend this movie to anyone looking for a good, sappy love story. I recommend this to anyone age 13 and above. This will help people understand how a LGBTQ+ person thinks and how you can help them with their problems.

I personally did not like the part of the film where Simon’s friends did not support him coming out at first. I thought that it was very selfish of them and they were only thinking of themselves when they responded the way that they did. The acting in the movie was overall okay. Although I thought that no teen love story could top ‘The Fault In Our Stars’, I was ultimately corrected while watching this film. I was in awe at the movie’s message and the spirit that it brought to the theater.