Juvia’s Place Releases New Makeup

Juvia’s Place, founded in 2016 by Chichi Eburu, is a makeup brand with the goal to increase diversity in the makeup industry.  

The display of packaging and shade ranges represent part of what the brand stands for: equality and inclusivity for all shade ranges. The brand is best known for how pigmented their eyeshadow palates are, with bright vibrant colors and variety of products to suit all tones of skin. 

For this review, a variety of products were purchased, including concealer, a creamy and powder bronzer, two shades of blush, a sparkly dark purple lip-gloss and finally – the culture eyeshadow palate. 

For background – the makeup was done on myself. I have a noticeably light skin tone, with pink undertones and square jawline with a rounder face. All the products were applied with brushes, then patted lightly with a blender on top. 

I applied an alternative foundation, eyebrow products and setting powder as well as lashes. 

In shade 22, the I Am Magic Concealer is a high coverage concealer that covers any pores and unevenness in the student’s skin tone. It carved out my eyebrows clearly and covered any dark circles under my eyes. The only downside to this product, it is more textured – even with correct skin prep. This product is for people with more oily or hydrated skin and not for a dry skin texture unlike my own. 

To add warmth to the skin, the Bronzed Cream Bronzer in shade Caramel is a balm for the skin that provides a beautiful, radiant look. It adds a sunbaked glam, and the creamy formula is almost perfect on the skin and blends into the pores. This product is very pigmented though, so overapplying on the brush can lead to larger amounts than intended on the face. 

The artistic face can be tied together with a beautiful blush that suits the right skin-tone for you. Using the Blushed Duo Blush in Volume Two, these blushes are very pigmented in pops of peachy colors. Going in with the lighter shade as a base, then the darker on top can add the pop of color needed. But when tapping the brush to the powder, even though a little was applied a lot came off. This could be perfect for people with darker skin tones, where more pigment is needed. But, for people with lighter skin tones it may be best to tone down the pigment with a loose setting powder and baking around the edges. 

Finally – the Culture eyeshadow palate. This palate provides a colorful range of shades, from shimmers to mattifying vibrant colors. Using the purple shade Edo in the outer corner, I then diffused the color into the eyelid with Ecowas. For the inner eyelid, a light shimmer shade called Wolof blended all the purples together. The pink shade, Benin, is used as a liner on the top of the eyelid, then on the sharp brow bone. The pigments are bright and colorful with a pop of shine to any look. It has a wide variety of shades; the only wish is they included lighter and darker shades in the palate. Some shades appear so alike that they represent each other. 

This brand provides a large variety of shades and represents diversity in the makeup industry. Though, a product that could be used for a wide range of skin types would benefit this brand further, broadening that horizon.