The student news site of Puyallup High School

The Viking Vanguard

The Viking Vanguard

The Viking Vanguard

Review: “Furiosa” Thrills Audiences with New Additions to “Mad Max” Universe

To temper expectations – those who go into “Furiosa” expecting another “Mad Max: Fury Road” will be disappointed. You’re still getting epic car chases and stunts in a postapocalyptic Australia, but it’s less wall-to-wall action and more character-driven. That’s not to say it’s a bad movie at all, in fact, it’s one of my favorites I’ve seen this year. The acting is impressive, and while the effects are less practical and more computer-generated, the action sequences are still incredibly gripping. 

The film follows Furiosa, the female lead from “Fury Road,” as she grows from a child kidnapped from an idyllic land called the Green Place to the formidable warrior we know from that film. For the first two acts, she’s portrayed by actress Alyla Browne, and for the rest of the film, she’s played by Anya Taylor-Joy. She’s taken from the Green Place by a gang of bikers who work for Dementus (Chris Hemsworth) before she’s sold to the Immortan Joe (Lachy Hulme). The rest of the film follows her as she seeks to return to the Green Place and take revenge on Dementus for killing her mother (Charlee Fraser). 

The film was written as a part of the development of “Fury Road” and was announced to film back-to-back before it was delayed and salary disputes between director George Miller and Warner Bros. caused the film to be pushed back repeatedly. Charlize Theron, who played Furiosa in “Fury Road,” referenced the “Furiosa” screenplay for her performance during filming, and the way the film builds around the world of “Fury Road” is a clear standout. 

Browne’s performance is one of the high points of the film, as we see her hardened by her experiences after being kidnapped from the Green Place. I wasn’t expecting her to be onscreen for very long, but her performance was surprisingly deep. Interestingly, Miller used a technique throughout the film where he slowly blended Taylor-Joy’s face with Browne’s throughout the film as Furiosa ages, to the point where it took a moment to tell when Taylor-Joy takes over the role.  

Taylor-Joy is another highlight with her role as a battle-hardened Furiosa, after years hiding as a mechanic for the War Boys. Some of her best moments come from the end of the film, where she perfectly mimics Charlize Theron in “Fury Road” and has an amazing extended sequence with Dementus. However, her characterization of Furiosa as she becomes a warrior under the tutelage of Praetorian Jack (Tom Burke) is where she really shines, adding more to the backstory only hinted at previously. While Jack is a clear stand-in for the absent Max, played by Hardy in “Fury Road,” we get attached to him for the relatively short timeframe he’s onscreen. 

On the villainous side of the story, Hemsworth is having the time of his life playing Dementus. The character is gleefully evil and unhinged, making the returning Immortan Joe seem like the level head in the Wasteland by comparison. His biker horde is an intimidating threat, offering lots of visually interesting characters and sequences. And while Hugh Keays-Byrne, the original actor for Immortan Joe, unfortunately passed away in 2020, Lachy Hulme does an admirable job with the dual roles of Immortan Joe and Dementus’ second-in-command, Rizzdale Pell. 

While this film was more character-focused than “Fury Road,” the action was just as thrilling. One sequence features former members of Dementus’ gang attacking Immortan Joe’s War Rig with motorcycles that are towing paragliders, one of the most thrilling and visually stunning action sequences of all the Mad Max films. Another sequence has Furiosa and Jack ambushed at the Bullet Farm, one of the three fortresses of the Wasteland. Only the Citadel was explored in “Fury Road,” and a key strength of the script is how it expands on “Fury Road” without moviegoers needing to see that film beforehand. 

Unfortunately, one of the things this movie lost from “Fury Road” was the jaw-dropping practical effects. While the action is still great to watch, there’s a weight that’s lost with the CGI used here. It’s not bad, especially compared to something like 2017’s “Justice League,” but I found myself distracted by the idea of “What if this was filmed alongside Fury Road like planned? How much better would this scene look?” Even then, the classic Mad Max “dieselpunk” aesthetic is one of the best parts of the movie, immersing viewers in this post-apocalyptic wasteland. 

While it’s not “Fury Road,” almost all viewers will find something to enjoy in the film. The aesthetics, action, and acting are all top-notch, and Miller’s world is vastly improved by the new additions to the lore. While Miller has plans for more films, including one taking place between “Furiosa” and “Fury Road” titled “Mad Max: The Wasteland,” they haven’t been greenlit yet. Furiosa is showing in theaters now. It is rated R.