The Viking Vanguard

Meet Puyallup’s New Counselor

More stories from Mariah Perez

Why 2018 has been so long
December 17, 2018
Back to Article
Back to Article

Meet Puyallup’s New Counselor

Emily Williams is the newest counselor at PHS.

Williams moved to the school after seven years of working at Glacier View Junior High School.

Here she works with students with last names R through Z.

Before becoming a school counselor Williams worked with college students through a non-profit organization. She decided to make the switch to junior high and high school after talking to a friend who was a school counselor.

“I remember thinking that that is a job that sounds exactly like me,” Williams said. “I decided to go back and get my master [degree].”

Williams says she doesn’t remember much about her own school counselors, however she wants her work with students to have a positive impact on their lives.

“I really want to do whatever I can to make [students’] experience in high school better,” Williams said. “I’m here for them.”

According to Williams, college was a large factor in shaping her into who she is today. One of her primary focuses is helping students get into college.

“College is really awesome not just for the knowledge that you gain, but really [for] that kind of development as a person,” Williams said.

Williams is excited to work at PHS and getting to know her fellow staff members more.

“It seems really fun,” Williams said, citing the staff lip dub as an example.

Williams says she is excited to start working with both the staff and students of Puyallup High.