Juniors: What to Know Before Your Senior Year

Juniors, senior year is rolling around the corner, and it’s rolling faster than some may realize. With that in mind, nobody ever wants to be left in the dark on valuable information, so here are some things that you might to need to know, want to know, and should know to prepare you for your senior year.

Senior Photos- Most commonly, senior photos are taken during the summer leading into your senior year or the beginning of the school year during the early stages of fall. Senior photographer Amanda Howse weighed in the importance of selecting the perfect places and perfect photographer to capture the big year

“One of the most important things juniors need to know about selecting a photographer is picking someone who’s [photographers] style they like,” Howse said. “If you like true natural colors, pick someone who edits like that. If you like the darker moody look, go with somebody who does that.” 

Howse, who has been in the business for several years recognizes that jump starting the process of senior pictures can be stressful for families. She says the best way to start is by simply asking peers and former seniors who they booked with and about their own process. It can also be as simple as popping in a quick Google search.

“Ask your friends and past seniors who they used [photographer], or just google ‘senior photographer’ and see which one is a good fit for you,” Howse said

Letter of Recommendation- During the college application process, many colleges across the U.S. require that applicants submit a minimum of one letter of recommendation. Common App, a website that allows students to apply to colleges around the globe, will often have you submit one while you are signing up. Many students are left wondering how they even begin the process of getting a LOR. Step one, don’t ask your teacher right away. Instead, walk yourself to Student Services you’ll find copies of the LOR Request form in a bin hanging on the wall just to the right of the door. If there aren’t any there, ask your counselor or Cristi Wood, who works at the front desk in student services.

Community Service Hours- In order for students to graduate, they must have completed a minimum of 20 hours of community service. Shelley Jellison, Career Specialist, has a variety of opportunities for students.

“We do have, in every Schoology course, a folder with community service opportunities,” Jellison said. “It has ones that have timeframes, or ones that pop up like decorating a daffodil float, or it could even be three pages of just different organizations that offer opportunities for our students.

It should be noted that community service hours start counting towards graduations assignments as early as 7th grade, so students have around six years to complete 20 hours of volunteer work