PHS Music Represents at State

Band, Orchestra and Choir programs had many students compete on the April 26-27, for the WIAA/WMEA State Solo and Ensemble Contest for musicians at Ellensburg.  

Among the students that competed, the PHS Choir had a tenor duet place third in their category at State. Both being juniors, there are questions to be asked on what got them this success at State and what actions they will take in their senior year to compete again at Ellensburg. 

Jack Murdock, choir and drama student, was one of the two students who placed third at State. Murdock said he felt great about placing third in the tenor baritone duet category at the State competition. 

“I’m happy that our placing at State may bring more attention and more opportunities to our music programs,” Murdock said. 

Giacobbe Whitworth, another choir and drama student placed third at State alongside Murdock, stated that the experiences he had competing at State was the best of his high school career. 

“It showed me that I was good at something I love doing. and it will add more opportunities for the choir program to be more of a voice in the Puyallup High School community,” Whitworth said. 

Murdock felt that the biggest factor to the success he and Whitworth had at State was the choice of song they sang as well as the support they had within the choir. 

“Specifically relating to Mr. Moon and how he supported us throughout the way,” Murdock said. 

Whitworth said that in preparing themselves for competition at State, their choir director Mr. Moon had given them plenty of time in class to practice their song. 

“Which led to our success in the small TBB vocal group,” Whitworth said. 

Whitworth felt that an improvement he would like to see for next year when preparing for solo ensemble, is to choose a longer and harder song to sing at State. 

“I believe that with the efforts of Mr. Moon, he could help us in finding a new song for us to sing” Whitworth said. 

Murdock says that the confidence he is building for himself isn’t limited to just him, but to the choir community as a whole. 

“I think that our success is opening opportunities for more people to be able to consider joining choir,” Murdock said. 

Murdock believes that the biggest advice he has for students competing in Solo and Ensemble next year, is to be mindful in what song you choose to perform, as well as the effort you put into practicing. 

“If you’re doing a solo, pick a song that you personally enjoy. if you’re doing an ensemble, pick people that you personally enjoy working with because having that friendship helped our voices grow together,” Murdock said. 

Ethan Moon, Choir Director, feels amazing at having some of his student’s place third at the State competition in Ellensburg. 

“The students all worked really hard at it, and they spent a lot of time and dedication. And so it was really because of their efforts that they managed to place at State,” Moon said.  

Moon attributed his student’s success at State to be the result of their hard work and dedication to practicing their songs in comparison to his guidance. 

“I spent a bit of time with them working with them on it and giving them some pointers. I could tell them to do anything and if they didn’t put in the time and the effort to doing it, then it doesn’t matter what I do,” Moon said.  

Moon claims that all his students kept a good mentality competing in solo ensemble. 

“And a lot of people showed a lot of growth musically and personally. Seeing the amount of personal growth that a lot of students did was great,” Moon said.  

A problem Moon ran into while preparing his students for solo ensemble was a lack of suitable sheet music for his students to practice with. Fortunately, he had some help from previous PHS Choir Director George Gunther. 

“But I still didn’t really know what was in those books. So, I would have liked to be able to give my students more of a focus, a suggestion of songs to sing, rather than suggest going on Google and finding something,” Moon said.  

Going into next year, Moon says he doesn’t want to change anything about the mindset he goes into solo ensemble with. 

“I’m going to prepare the students the best I can and give them all the resources that I can to make sure that they have what they need to be successful,” Moon said.  

Moon believes that solo ensemble gives students a perfect opportunity to improve themselves and hear from different perspectives. 

“I provide one perspective on singing and on music. At contest you will get judged by someone who may have their focus in a different place from me and it’s their expertise is greater in one specific area,” Moon said.