The Viking Vanguard

Student Walkout Aims for Change

Andrew Flury, Staff

The effectiveness of marches, walkouts and protests is disputed but change seems on the horizon in the aftermath of PHS’s March for Our Lives.

Following the song, speech and silence, students were encouraged by march organizer and senior Brooklyn Garrett to “go register and vote.” The organization Indivisible Puyallup was there to respond to the call.

A member of the group, Joe Colombo, explained the ideology behind the organization.

“We are a local chapter of the larger national Indivisible movement, [which] was spawned by progressives in response to Trump being elected president,” Colombo said. “We are dedicated to protecting our nation’s values and principles through political action.”

Different members of Indivisible Puyallup greeted marchers as they left the rotary stage, offering registration forms to anyone over 17. Colombo sees the march as an important step toward engaging youth in politics and a promising sign for the future.

I think protest can be very positive for the community.”

— Joe Colombo

“I think protest can be very positive for the community,” Colombo said. “After all, our great nation was founded on a protest when they threw the tea over the boat. So this can be an action for positive change and it is a great way to focus energy, to get people mobilized and motivate. It shows that we are willing to stand up for things.”

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Student Walkout Aims for Change”

1. Tom on March 24th, 2018 11:26 am

Actually very few students participated. The Headline should read: 1800 kids at PHS decline to participate in protest.

Agenda much?

2. Emily Van Bergeyk on March 26th, 2018 2:18 pm

Thank you very much for reading the Vanguard and calling this to our attention. The editorial body of the Vanguard has reviewed this story and changed the headline to eliminate bias.

While the entirety of the student population did not participate, we covered this story because it impacted the climate of our school. We encourage you to check out the other story we posted about the walkout in which both viewpoints are expressed– opposing and supporting the walkout.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

The student news site of Puyallup High School
Student Walkout Aims for Change