Fall Athlete Finds Success

Senior Lemalu shares struggles that helped form future, establish goals.
Credit: Leilah Lemalu
Leilah Lemalu spikes the ball to her opponent’s side of the net.

Senior Leilah Lemalu has been playing volleyball for the last six years; she is currently playing for the Puyallup High School girls volleyball team as an outside hitter.   

Over the span of her career, Lemalu says she has learned countless lessons about hard work, perseverance and companionship.  

Of those lessons, the toughest, she says, came during the team’s loss last season at the 4A state semifinals. Up until that moment, the group had been undefeated.   

“Last year at State, when we lost the semifinals, that really took a toll on me.” Lemalu said. “I had so many expectations for our team, and really thought we would finish on a good note, which we still did, but I was disappointed in myself. It really taught me to be easier on myself and confident that things will go well.”   

During games when it seems like nothing is going right, Lemalu says her biggest struggle is keeping a positive mindset.  

“I have not always had the best self-confidence in terms of skill, because I have not always started on the court. I would say my biggest challenge is self-confidence, having a good mindset on the court and just staying focused. Not letting certain things overwhelm me,” Lemalu said.   

Despite her struggles, Lemalu says she always returns to her passion and love for the sport and her team. These connections, forged on and off the court, are unforgettable.  

“It’s like your second family, and you have people you can talk to even outside of the sport. It’s a great opportunity to build relationships and bonds.” Lemalu said.  

Now, as a player who starts on the court and can play almost every position, Lemalu shares how far she has come since her freshman year and the goals she has for her future.   

“If I could, I would tell my past self to just calm down,” Lemalu said. “It is not the end of the world; volleyball is not your life. That’s a big one. I would tell myself to have more confidence in me and to just keep working at it and dwelling on it.”   

After graduation, Lemalu says she plans to bring her skills to a college team outside of Washington, where she can continue to use the lessons she learned about dedication and staying confident on the court and bring them to life to her new teammates- her new family.