Photography Through Different Lens

Ever since I was a young child, I have had a passion for photography. I have loved taking pictures of nature, wildlife, and anything around me.  

Before I started going to Puyallup High School, I never had the option to take a photography class in school. This was why I was ecstatic at the opportunity to take photography as a class in my sophomore year. 

I instantly fell in love with the class because it was everything I loved about photography. I was able to go around campus and take pictures of what I found beautiful or interesting. My photography teacher, Mr. Anderle, helped teach me new ways to use the camera and rules of photography to better my prior skills.  

But before I knew it, the end of my sophomore year was approaching.  

I was at the class registration night when Mr. Anderle sought me out and told me I needed to join Yearbook next year. I was hesitant at first, even though I considered myself a good writer. I wasn’t sure if I would like talking to new people and interviewing them. But after much persuasion, I signed up for the class.  

Joining the Yearbook staff was like jumping into a whole new world. Within the first two weeks of being in the class, I became one of the Co-Editor in Chiefs. 

Right from the beginning I had to start writing stories, captions, and MODS. Thankfully our adviser Mrs. Coyer was always there to help guide and teach us how to do everything. I never knew how much work went into creating a successful yearbook, until the hours I spent going out and getting photos of events, interviewing people, writing and staying after school for late nights.  

But after the initial shock and adjustment to the busy schedule, I ended up loving Yearbook just as much as photography. I was able to combine my photography and writing skills to make a final product the whole school would see.  

Over the year, I was able to go to both state and national competitions. I got recognized for my photography at a state level. I was also able to go to the JEA national convention where my poetry got an honorable mention. 

This class sparked my love for journalism so much that this year I decided to take Yearbook II and Newspaper. While it is sometimes hard to stay on top of both classes, I wouldn’t change my decision. That’s because both classes have let me see what I want to do in the future.  

My plan is to go the University of Idaho to pursue a journalism degree. I want to become a photojournalist so that way I can combine my passion for photography and my writing skill to pursue a job that I love. 

Without having the help of the classes I took, I don’t think I would have found my passion. I defiantly would not have pushed myself to try something new, like joining Yearbook or Newspaper. But it is especially thanks to the teachers who helped guide and push me out of my comfort zone, proving to be some of the best decisions of my high school experience.