The student news site of Puyallup High School

The Viking Vanguard

The Viking Vanguard

The Viking Vanguard

Editorial: Alumni Assembly Brings Community Together

Credit: Lola Woodburn

The Alumni Assembly, celebrating the classes of 25 and 50 years prior, has been one of Puyallup High School’s longstanding traditions, in combination with the celebration of Winter Wishes. This year however, there is no Winter Wishes Assembly. The Alumni Assembly will continue, but students are no longer required to attend and celebrate a long line of Viking pride and tradition and watch their peers be appreciated and shown kindness by the Leadership team.  

With the separation of these events, students can struggle to comprehend the legacies of former students and therefore, lead the student body to a decrease in school pride and spirit. After returning to school full time in 2021, a sense of community was lost.  

Though many activities continued, there were struggles in making everyone feel safe and connected after spending the prior year and a half at home. Additionally, school-wide events such as assemblies faced blocks such as face masks and carrying capacities. In Fall of 2022, there was a large spike in normalcy with school-wide events being held regularly without the struggle to combat a global pandemic simultaneously. The Alumni Assembly was held and students were able to feel connected to former Vikings. With the loss of required student attendance this year, students will lose the sentiment of sharing former class yells and traditions, as well as pop culture from years prior.  

Though students have consistent reminders of school history, such as generous class donations toward improving the school or the large cases of trophies and awards, there is something different about meeting the alumni in person. Hearing the alumni recite their class yells from graduation can motivate students toward graduation. Seeing the alumni light up as they enter the doors to the gym to their alma mater can emphasize the importance of high school and the roots we establish here.

Though the three years we spend here are not a predictor toward the rest of our lives, they can be crucial. Students can find themselves in classes and activities to discover their future careers or hobbies that will carry on throughout their lives. Many former Vikings also establish connections with peers or staff who remain in their lives consistently throughout time.  

Ultimately, the Alumni Assembly brings together the community of Puyallup, including current students and sets Puyallup apart from schools in the South Sound. School community and spirit is something that is never lost, even after graduation.